Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 8: Relearing how to shop!

So, on this quest of mine that I made myself do as I start to wonder why 40 days when all the clearance deals are coming out in July (thanks for letting me vent there), I need to teach myself to shop better.

I'm really good at spending all my money before the end of the month (that country song, To Much Month at the End of the Money, is my theme). So when these final days come, I find myself returning items for some extra cash or just swiping my debit card and hope my husband doesn't ask about that previous budgeted amount I went over on again.

Kara at www.practicalsaver.com recently sent out an email about my dilmea! Read on:

Andrea sent me several questions - one of here difficulties is meal planning. She plans for 2 weeks of meals at a time, but is finding herself out of money to go back and get the milk or items that she wants to stock up on during the next sale period.

Here is my opinion:

I have never been a fan of 2 week meal plans, for the same reason you described, you will still need more items as 'life happens' and you don't know if a better sale is coming in the next sale ads. I suggest making a 1 week meal plan. I do usually 4 days at a time. By the end of the 4 days, I will be needing milk or something, and that will allow me to possibly go to a different store to get what is on sale there.

We get paid every 2 weeks as well, once you get into the routine, it is quite simple to divide 1/2 your budget and spread it out. And don't worry if you spend over half one week, just don't leave it dry for the milk and extras you need to pick up.

PERFECT! I was planning on my HUGE shopping trip on Wednesday but I think I will just plan for a week and get what I need for up to 7 days!

So this is a start. But I just need to remember I don't have extra $$ to spend because I still have another week to go. So no Target or Country Stores ...

No comments:

Post a Comment